Police release 911 call following death of Scottsdale infant

Posted: Updated:
By Jennifer Thomas By Jennifer Thomas

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Scottsdale police released the 911 tape of the call made after a neighbor found a 4-month-old girl unconscious and not breathing inside an apartment Sunday morning.

During the call, which was released Tuesday, the neighbor told the 911 operator that the infant was ice cold and already dead.

According to the Scottsdale Police Department, officers were called to the apartment near McDowell Road and 74th Street at approximately 5:45 a.m. Sunday.

A responding officer found the baby was unconscious, not breathing and cold to the touch. The officer began CPR until emergency medical personnel arrived and took over. The baby was transported to Scottsdale Healthcare-Osborn where she was pronounced dead on arrival.

During the investigation, the neighbor told police that at approximately 5:30 a.m. she noticed the door to the family's apartment was standing open and she could hear a baby crying inside.

After about 5 minutes, she went inside and found the mother asleep in a bedroom. According to the Scottsdale Police Department, the woman said she saw an infant in a baby seat next to the bed where the mother was sleeping and she was unable to wake the mother.

She reportedly heard a baby crying in another bedroom and found the girl's twin brother in a crib crying but uninjured. She picked him up and went back to the mother and again tried to wake her.

The neighbor noticed that the baby girl appeared to have a gray-blue complexion and was not moving. She felt the baby and found her cold and not breathing. The woman shook the mother to wake her and yelled that the baby was not breathing. The neighbor then called 911. The mother woke up and began frantically trying to wake the infant.

The mother ran out the door with the child to the manager's apartment and yelled for help. Emergency personnel arrived shortly after.

The mother told police that she last saw the baby at 11 p.m. Saturday when she put her in the seat to sleep.

The mother, identified as Megan Milner, 25, said there was a party at the apartment with about 15 people for most of the night. She was drinking and doesn't remember anything more until the neighbor woke her up in distress.

Milner told police that the baby's father was at the party but left after they got into an argument.

Police officers responded to the argument at approximately 12:30 a.m. after they received a call about yelling outside an apartment. The officers found that a man and woman, later identified as the baby's parents, had been involved in the verbal argument.

Officers determined no crime had been committed and encouraged the man to leave, which he did. According to the Scottsdale Police Department, the police response to the argument was outside the apartment and nothing appeared to be out of order before the officers left.

The baby's death is still being investigated and no arrests have been made at this time.

The medical examiner's investigation is under way. Scottsdale police Sgt. Mark Clark said it will be a few weeks before toxicology reports return and the cause of death is determined.

The twin brother and another child were transferred to CPS for placement with other family members.