Candle sparks Mesa house fire, 2 injured

Posted: Updated:

MESA -- A Mesa family is lucky to believe alive after a candle sparked an early morning fire at their home Friday.

Firefighters were called out to Main Street and Country Club Drive at about 4 a.m.

Three people were asleep inside the house when the fire started. The smoke detector went off and woke them, giving them time to escape the burning house.

"I was asleep; I thought I was dreaming," said a woman who was inside the home when the fire broke out. "When I finally came to -- came awake -- I thought maybe it was thunder and lightning. I could hear this loud banging noise and I didn't know what it was. I think it was my son trying to break out a window, but I'm not sure."

The woman said her son and daughter-in-law were taken to the hospital. They reportedly suffered first- and second-degree burns.

Firefighters were able to quickly contain the flames. Crews on the scene said the home is still standing. The damage to the structure is relatively minor, but much of what was inside the house reportedly was lost.