Basmati rice and fruitsPosted: Updated:
6 ¼ cups Water
4 cups Fresh Fruit
1 ¼ cups Basmati Rice, uncooked, rinsed and drained
½ cup + 3 Tablespoons Sugar, granulated
1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon Apricot Nectar
4 each Basil Leaves
1 tablespoon Ginger
1 each Orange zest
1 each Lemon zest
1 each Vanilla Bean
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
Salt To taste
Black Pepper To taste
1. In a heavy saucepan, combine basmati Rice, 4 ¾ cups water and a pinch of sugar and salt.
2. Bring all ingredients to a boil.
3. Cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer 30-45 minutes, until rice is tender and water has evaporated.
1. In a saucepan, combine 1 ½ cups water, ½ cup sugar, orange and lemon zest, fresh ginger, and vanilla bean.
2. Bring mixture to a boil.
3. Remove pan from heat.
4. Add basil leaves and steep 30 minutes.
5. Strain and add apricot nectar and lemon juice.
Combine cooked rice, fruit, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, chiffonade of fresh basil and syrup. Add cracked black pepper and lemon juice to taste.
Yield: 6 servings