Chicken Salad with Strawberries, Orange Balsamic and Goat CheesePosted: Updated:
½ cup almonds, slivered or sliced
1 each orange, zested and juiced
1 tsp, Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
To taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 cups tender greens
24 large strawberries, hulled and quartered
¼ each red onion, thinly sliced
3 each chicken breasts, cooked (approx. 5 oz each)
½ cup goat cheese
1. Toast almonds in a dry sauté pan over medium heat or in a 375 degree oven until lightly golden; set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, reduce orange juice over medium high heat by half; cool. Should yield a little less than 1/4 cup.
3. In a small bowl whisk together the reduced juice, 1/2 tsp or so of the zest, mustard and vinegar, whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine salad greens, half of the strawberries, almonds and red onion. Add just enough dressing to coat greens; toss carefully and arrange on a serving platter.
5. Slice the chicken and add to the mixing bowl; toss with a little of the vinaigrette and arrange around and on top of the greens.
6. Toss the remaining strawberries in some of the remaining vinaigrette; sprinkle on top of the salads. To finish, sprinkle with the crumbled goat cheese and a few grinds of black pepper.
Yield: 6-8 servings