Weekend freeway closures -- April 23-25Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- A section of westbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) in Tempe will be closed this weekend as crews continue to make progress toward opening new lanes. The Arizona Department of Transportation recommends that drivers use alternate westbound routes, including U.S. 60, while Loop 202 is closed. Stretches of I-17 north of Loop 101 will be restricted for rubberized asphalt paving. ADOT asks drivers to allow extra travel time while the following weekend restrictions are in place:
• Westbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) closed between Loop 101 and Priest Drive from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (April 26) for new lane construction and sign installation. Both Loop 101 ramps to westbound Loop 202 also closed. DETOUR: Use alternate routes, including westbound U.S. 60, while Loop 202 is closed. Local traffic detour routes include McKellips and Broadway roads.
• Northbound Interstate 17 narrowed to two lanes between Happy Valley Road and Carefree Highway from 10 p.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Saturday (April 24) for rubberized asphalt paving, then narrowed to one lane in same area from 10 p.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday (April 26). Note: Northbound I-17 also narrowed to two lanes in same area from 5 a.m. Monday to 10 p.m. Saturday (May 1). Southbound I-17 narrowed to two lanes between Carefree Highway and Happy Valley Road from 10 p.m. Sunday to 10 p.m. Monday (April 26). DETOUR: Please slow down and merge safely in work zone. Allow extra travel time and consider traveling during off-peak times, including early morning and nighttime hours. Information about project available at www.azdot.gov.
• Eastbound Loop 202 (Red Mountain Freeway) narrowed to three lanes between Center Parkway and McClintock Drive from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (April 26) for new lane construction, including rubberized asphalt paving. Eastbound Loop 202 ramps at Scottsdale Road and McClintock Drive closed at times over the weekend. DETOUR: Use ramps at adjacent interchanges when eastbound ramps at Scottsdale and McClintock are closed. For a list of additional restrictions related to the Red Mountain Freeway widening project visit www.ValleyFreeways.com and click on Loop 202.
• Interstate 10 narrowed to two lanes in both directions between Loop 101 and Dysart Road in the West Valley from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday (April 24-25) for permanent lane striping on newer rubberized asphalt pavement. 107th Avenue closed at I-10 Saturday (April 24). I-10 on- and off-ramps at 107th Avenue also closed Saturday. DETOUR: Use 99th Avenue or Avondale Boulevard while 107th Avenue is closed.
• Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane in both directions overnight between Cotton Lane and Jackrabbit Trail in the West Valley from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights (April 25-30) for new lane construction. DETOUR: Slow down and merge safely in work zone.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions across Arizona visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1. Sign up for ADOT e-mail updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov.