Baked zitiPosted: Updated:
• 1 lb. ziti pasta
• Kosher salt
• 3 1/2 cups quick marinara sauce
• 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
• 1 lb. fresh mozzarella, half cut into 1/2-inch cubes and half thinly sliced
• freshly ground black pepper
• pinch of crushed red pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously, and boil the pasta until al dente, tender but still slightly firm. Drain.
In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta with the marinara sauce, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and the cubed mozzarella pieces. Season with the black pepper and red pepper to taste, and mix until well combined. Transfer the pasta to an oiled 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Cover the top of the pasta with the sliced mozzarella, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan. Bake until lightly browned and hot, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.