Suspect shot, tased in brawl with police officers

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PHOENIX -- Police shot and tased a man who they say was resisting arrest after a fight at a Phoenix fast food restaurant.

It happened at about 10 p.m. in the area of 43rd Avenue and Thomas Road.

According to police, the man was in the drive-through at Church's Chicken when he got into a fight with an employee of the restaurant. Security guards chased the 30-year-old suspect, whose name has not been released, to a nearby pharmacy. That's when an undercover officer got involved.

That officer, a sergeant with the Maryvale Precinct’s Neighborhood Enforcement Team (NET), saw the suspect accosting a woman. Investigators now believe he was trying to steal her car. The sergeant approached the suspect and tried to take him into custody.

According to Detective James Holmes of the Phoenix Police Department, the suspect was not cooperative and attacked the sergeant.

"The sergeant is trying to control the suspect, and the fight is on," Holes said.

At some point during the fight, the sergeant drew his weapon and fired. The suspect was wounded in the shoulder, but he did not go down. Holmes said the man continued to fight, and fight hard.

Five more officers arrived on the scene. The suspect fought with all of them, even biting one and trying to get a gun from another, Holmes said.

After officers finally managed to control the suspect, an ambulance was called. The suspect was placed on a backboard, but still continued to fight. The man had his hands cuffed behind him, but he nearly managed to get his hands back in front, Holmes said.

Because he was still fighting with both officer and fire personnel, officers "touch tased" the suspect twice, Holmes said.

The suspect eventually was taken to the hospital. His injuries were not life-threatening.

The officer who was bitten -- the suspect drew blood through the officer's long-sleeve shirt -- was also taken to the hospital.

Police said there was a second suspect involved in the initial incident at the restaurant, but that man got away. Investigators are still trying to determine what led up to that fight.

At this point, police are not releasing the names of anyone involved in the incident.