12-Year-old saves home, family pets when dryer catches fire

Posted: Updated:

TOLLESON -- A 12-year-old boy is being credited with saving his home and his family's pets after a dryer caught fire Monday morning.

The little boy reportedly was home alone when the fire started in the neighborhood of 109th Avenue and Durango Street, which is north of Lower Buckeye Road.

Ryan Umfress called 911 as soon as he realized what was happening.

"I got out of the shower in my room and then the fire alarm went off," Ryan said.

Ryan hustled the family's two dogs outside and then went back for his guinea pig.

"I'm very proud of him," said Ryan's mom, Talisa. "I'm so thankful that he did what he did. Five more minutes and the whole house could have been up. It just could have been a lot worse."

Ryan had just attended the Children's Safety Fair at the Peoria Sports Complex over the weekend.

The laundry room was the only area of the house that was damaged.

No injuries were reported.