Changes in Valley Metro bus service kick in today; Tempe, West Valley most affectedPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- The new Transit Book is out and there are some significant changes for riders in Avondale, Chandler, Tempe and Scottsdale.
Those changes went into effect today and affect 22 bus routes, including the Tempe Orbit circulator bus routes.
“Reducing bus service is never easy, but it’s a trend that the transit industry is experiencing across the country,” said David Boggs, Valley Metro RPTA executive director, I a news release. “Plans to continue expanding our regional transit system are definitely on hold in 2010.”
Valley Metro says the struggling economy and decreased revenues from sales taxes have prompted the cuts. Fares cover only about 25 percent of the cost of transit operations. The rest comes from regional and local sales taxes.
Below is an overview of the changes.
- Grand Avenue Limited: Afternoon extension from Peoria Park-and Ride to Surprise discontinued.
- Route 29A — Avondale: Scheduled to coordinate transfer with Route 131 at Avondale Civic Center.
- Route 30 — University: Route travels east/west on University Dr. and no longer diverts onto 52nd St. Route 48 will now serve 52nd St. Bus stop relocated at South Mountain Community College.
- Route 41A –Avondale: Service discontinued.
- Route 41 – Indian School: Extended to 107th Ave. and Indian School Rd. New service on Camelback Rd. between 99th and 107th Avenues.
- (NEW) Route 48 – 48th St./Rio Salado: Route replaces portions of Route 92 and will now serve Tempe Center for the Arts.
- Route 62 — Hardy/Guadalupe: Portions of former Route 62 are now part of Route 65. Portions of former Route 92 are now part of Route 62. New name is 62 – Hardy/Guadalupe.
- Route 65 — Mill/Kyrene: Re-routed to cover a portion of the current Route 62, and later evening and weekend frequency reduced to 60 minutes.
- Route 66 — Mill/68th Street/Kyrene: Re-routed to cover Kyrene Rd./Chandler portion of Route 65. Later evening and weekend frequency reduced to 60 minutes.
- Route 72 — Scottsdale/Rural: Some trips extended to Thompson Peak Parkway, while other trips will turn around at Thunderbird Rd./Redfield Rd.
- Route 76 — Miller: Service in Tempe discontinued, but will continue to operate in Scottsdale to Scottsdale/McDowell Rd.
- Route 77 — Baseline: Morning and afternoon rush hour frequency will be reduced to 30 minutes. Only select weekday trips will serve South Mountain Comm. College at the new bus stop.
- Route 81 — Hayden/McClintock: McClintock trips traveling between Chandler Fashion Center and Raintree Dr. at Northsight Blvd. will no longer travel through ASU Research Park. Short trips will continue to serve ASU Research Park via Warner Rd.
- Route 92 — 48th/Guadalupe: Service discontinued, but portions of the route will be served by Route 62–Hardy/Guadalupe and new Route 48–48th St./Rio Salado.
- Route 106 — Peoria/Shea: East on Shea Blvd; North on 124th St.; East on Via Linda; South on 136th St.; West on Shea Blvd; North on 134th St. into Mayo Clinic Scottsdale.
- Route 114 — Via Linda: Service discontinued.
- Route 131 — Start: Service discontinued east of Avondale Civic Center. Frequency increased to 60 minutes and schedule coordinated with Route 29A.
- Phoenix DASH: DASH now travels north on 1st Dr. and no longer travels on 3rd Ave.
- Tempe Orbit Earth: Routing changes and Sunday frequency reduced to 30 minutes. Service hours reduced on weekends.
- Tempe Orbit Jupiter: Routing changes and Sunday frequency reduced to 30 minutes. Service hours reduced on weekends.
- Tempe Orbit Mars: Routing changes and Sunday frequency reduced to 30 minutes. Service hours reduced on weekends.
- Tempe Orbit Mercury: Routing changes and Sunday frequency reduced to 30 minutes. Service hours reduced on weekends.
- Tempe Orbit Venus: Sunday frequency reduced to 30 minutes. Service hours reduced on weekends.
- Express Routes: No Changes.
- RAPID Routes: No Changes.
- Rural Routes: No Changes.
- METRO light rail: No Changes.
Transit Books are available at libraries, transit centers, city halls and on buses.