Police ID man who shot himself at Phoenix strip club

Posted: Updated:
By Alicia Barron By Alicia Barron
By Alicia Barron By Alicia Barron
By Alicia Barron By Alicia Barron
By Alicia Barron By Alicia Barron
By Alicia Barron By Alicia Barron

PHOENIX – A man upset that a dancer at a Phoenix gentleman's club would not have sex with him got so upset that he tried to shoot the club's manager Monday.

The man, now identified as Jeremy E. Goodson, reportedly also tried to burn down the building.

Bob McLaughlin, one of the managers of Lacey's Gentleman's Club near 28th Avenue and Indian School Road, spent the day in the hospital because he broke both legs after jumping off the roof to escape. Investigators said McLaughlin is lucky to be alive because a bullet narrowly missed him.

Donna Fiore, McLaughlin's fiancee, showed 3TV where it all went down. It started well before dawn Monday morning when Goodson, 33, took McLaughlin hostage.

“He had Bob held like this and had the gun at his throat and basically Bob was just saying, ‘Hey man, I got kids,'" Fiore said.

According to investigators, a model had given Goodson a lap dance, and, apparently, he was not satisfied with just that. He wanted her to have sex with him.

"Gentlemen do come here sometimes expecting more, which they don't receive here," explains Paul Lacy, who manages the club with McLaughlin.

Officers say Goodson left the club only to return with a gun.

“The model that was in the greeting room with him at the time, the one that did the dance for him, she was actually trying to calm the customer down because he was upset, he said he was getting ripped off," Fiore said.

Police said Goodson demanded money.

According to Fiore, her fiance distracted Goodson, giving the two women who were in the club time to escape. Neither of them was hurt. Fiore said McLaughlin then tried to convince Goodson to go up to the roof.

“He said, ‘Listen I can help you get away from the police, if you just follow me up the roof’," Fiore explained. “He actually said ‘Hey, I'll hold the top of the ladder for you,' and when he got to the top of the ladder, he actually pushed the top of the ladder, trying to push the guy off but some how, he had his balance."

That's when McLaughlin ran across the roof.

“He looked back and he said he just seen the guy pull the gun out on him and started firing," Fiore said.

According to the Phoenix Police Department, one officer did return fire.

Goodson went back inside. As police secured the perimeter of the building, they saw the smoke from a fire Goodson allegedly set. The building's sprinkler system doused the flames.

The Phoenix Police Special Assignments Unit tried to make contact with Goodson, but he didn't respond.

SAU officers eventually went inside the smoke-filled building and found Goodson on the floor in the manager's office. Investigators believe he killed himself. He was pronounced dead just after 7 a.m., more than three hours after the incident began to unfold.

Det. James Holmes said at this point, investigators do not know anything about Goodson's history.