Mesa home destroyed in early-morning fire

Posted: Updated:
By Jim Carr By Jim Carr
By Jim Carr By Jim Carr
By Jim Carr By Jim Carr
By Jim Carr By Jim Carr
By Jim Carr By Jim Carr

MESA – Fire officials say smoke detectors saved a Mesa family when their house caught fire while they were sleeping early Friday morning.

It happened at approximately 4:45 a.m. in the 1700 block of Downing Street near Brown and Gilbert roads in Mesa.

When firefighters arrived they found a significant fire in the basement of the home. Thirty firefighters were called to the scene, but had to pull out of the home because of the structural damage. Crews then focused on containing the fire to the one structure.

The fire started when an 11-year-old boy accidentally knocked an overhead projector over, according to the homeowner, setting a blanket on fire. The boy put the projector in the shower in an attempt to extinguish the flames before escaping the basement.

Smoke detectors woke everyone in the home, and the family of five, two visitors and the family pets made it out of the home safely.

Firefighters battled the blaze for more than four hours, and continued to put out hot spots after 9 a.m.

For more information on how to help the family by donating funds, go to www.mygenesischurch.com.