Smoldering cigarette sparks house fire in Mesa

Posted: Updated:

MESA -- An early morning fire has left a woman and her two dogs looking for a place to live.

The fire broke out at a home near McKellips Road and Center Street around 3 a.m.

Fire crews say a woman was smoking and thought she put her cigarette out, but when she headed into the other room to watch TV the cigarette started the fire in her bedroom.

The flames were mainly confined to the attic.

The woman's dogs were rescued by emergency workers.