PHOENIX -- Investigators are trying to determine if a fire at home from which the renters had just been evicted was intentionally set.
It happened early Tuesday morning at Fifth Avenue and Hatcher Road in Phoenix.
The recently evicted renters reportedly were sleeping outside the house with their pets when the fire broke out at about 3:30 a.m.
Those people were able to call for help. No injuries were reported.
When crews arrived on he scene, they had quite the fight on their hands. Not only was the house on fire, but flames had spread to some nearby bushes and were threatening a business next door to the burning home.
"The flames were rolling up over the roof of this commercial structure to the south," said Capt. Wade Kline of the Phoenix Fire Department. "We had to send units on the roof of that one, as well as to the interior to make sure the fire had not spread to that occupancy."
The American Red Cross is helping the people who had been renting the home.
Firefighters said it looks like the fire started on the porch where the evicted renters had been storing their possessions.
While investigators have not figured out exactly what sparked the fire, they reportedly are leaning toward arson.