Dog saves Tucson family from fire

Posted: Updated:

It's not exactly moving day at the Bishop household, but a restoration company carefully packs up many of the personal belongings in their east side home.

They're being put to work thanks to Tuffy, a five-year-old Yorkshire Terrier

"He'll bark if there's something wrong," said Brad Bishop. "And there was something wrong last night."

Shortly before 2:00 A.M. on Thursday, firefighters say the motor in the kitchen vent's fan caught fire.

The fire burned right through the roof, but things could have been a lot worse had it not been for the acts of the courageous canine.

"It's quite an emotional thing because if it wouldn't have been for him, we could've lost our whole home, and even possibly lost our lives due to carbon monoxide poisoning," Bishop said.

Yet when Tuffy started barking at the fire...

"He was able to wake up his owners, get them outside and they were able to call 911 without being injured," said Capt. Trish Tracy of the Tucson Fire Department.

Tracy with says she's never seen that before because carbon monoxide from a fire usually puts people and animals to sleep.

However, Tuffy stayed alert, and firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen.

"And damage is at about only $10,000," Tracy said. "It would have been a lot worse if the dog would not have woken."

Now instead of picking up the pieces, the restoration company cleans, while the Bishop family contemplates how to properly reward their little Yorkshire Terrier.

"We haven't decided," Bishop said. "But it'll be big."

It's said that all dogs go to heaven -- Brad Bishop would say that Tuffy has indeed earned his admission into the pearly gates.