Con artst who targeted Sky Harbor travelers gets 12 years

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX - The following is a release from the Maricopa County Attorney's Office:

County Attorney Andrew Thomas announced today that John Patrick Kelly, 47 (DOB 12/11/61), has been sentenced on charges related to an elaborate fraud scheme. Kelly portrayed himself to be an employee of an electronic distribution center at Sky Harbor Airport with the authority to sell electronic equipment that had been " slightly damaged" in flight. Kelly was sentenced on March 19, 2009 in the courtroom of Commissioner Barbara Spencer. He will serve a total of 12 years in prison.

The defendant pled guilty on November 25, 2008 to: Theft, a class five felony with one prior felony conviction; Fraudulent Schemes and Artifices, a class two felony, with one prior felony conviction; Theft, a class three felony, with one prior felony conviction; Theft, a class six felony, and Burglary in the 2nd degree, a class three felony.

According to a Phoenix police probable cause statement, in December 2007, Kelly approached a victim and told him he had laptops and flat screen televisions to sell at a discount price. Kelly said that he was able to buy discount electronics came through customs with damaged boxes and had insurance settlements.

The defendant obtained $2,400.00 from the victim and had the victim drive him to Sky Harbor airport. Once there he had the victim wait, telling him he would return shortly with the merchandise. He never returned. Also in December 2007, Kelly took $1,000.00 from another victim telling him that he would sell him a plasma TV and a laptop computer. He failed to return with the merchandise.

On another occasion, the defendant received $2,900 from a victim claiming he could get damaged or slightly damaged items at a discount. Another victim gave Kelly $625.00. Still another victim gave him $1,200.00.

"I am grateful that the next dozen years for this scam artist will be occupied by other pursuits as dictated by prison authorities," said Thomas.

Deputy County Attorney Michael Flynn prosecuted the case.