UPDATE: Buckeye still cleaning up after storm

Posted: Updated:
The morning after

UPDATE: Friday, Aug. 8

VALLEYWIDE -- Operations at Sky Harbor International Airport are back to normal after a severe thunderstorm forced it to shut down its runways for about 40 minutes Thursday night.

The runways were closed to all flight -- both incoming and outgoing -- around 8:30 p.m.and some incoming flights had to be diverted to McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas, Sky Harbor officials said. Thso ground stop was imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Air traffic was moving again at Sky Harbor by 9:15 p.m. but officials said the weather situation affected 20 to 30 flights and hundreds of people.

About 300 people stranded overnight were still trying to get flights out of Phoenix Friday morning, said airport officials.

While the airport is trying to catch up, delays are expected throughout the morning.

The storm packed lightning, strong winds and heavy rain with more than an inch of rain falling on some parts of the Phoenix metropolitan area, according to the National Weather Service. Pretty much every part of the Valley was affected.

Arizona Public Service said that at the height of the storm, about 21,000 were without power. The electricity has been restored to most of those customers. As of 9 a.m. Friday, about 5,000 were still powerless in Buckeye. More than 2,500 of those customers are in centeral and north-central Phoenix. They should be back up and running by midday.

APS said they had about 70 power poles down in the Buckeye area, which translates to about 3,300 customers. APS said its crews are working hard, but repairs will likely take all day. As of 10 p.m. 350 customers are still without power. The power probably won't be back up and running until late Saturday.

In addition to residential closures, the downed powerlines are also affecting a school. is closed because of the power outage. It is expected to reopen Monday.

Salt River Project said about 800 of its customers were still without power Friday morning. That was expected to be restored by about 8 a.m. At one point Thursday night, some 4,000 customers did not have elecetricty, but SRP was able to restore power to most of them within a few hours.

While several roads were closed due to flooding Thursday night, most of them have reopened to traffic.

According to the Scottsdale Police Department, the only restriction still in place Friday morning in Scottsdale was Roosevelt between Hayden and Miller. Even those roads are open, drivers are still urged to be cautious as some areas might still have some standing water.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ORIGINAL STORY: Thursday, Aug. 7

PHOENIX - All flights in and out of Sky Harbor Airport have been halted.

This happened just before 9 p.m. Officials still do not know when flight activity will resume.

Over 15,000 A.P.S. customers are without power and 4,000 S.R.P. customers went dark with the first outages reported at about 8 p.m.

According to SRP spokesperson Patty Garcia-Likens, the dramatic storm that came was pretty widespread and affected a lot of areas across the Valley.

SRP encourages customers to call in and check whether they are working in their area. Their number is (602) 236-8888. Garcia-Likens says SRP is aiming to restore power in all the affected areas by 10 p.m.

Road Closures:

The following roadways in Scottsdale are closed or are being closed due to flooding as of 9:30 PM:

- McKellips from Pima to Granite Reef

- Hayden and Osborn

- McDowell just west of Scottsdale

- Miller and Roosevelt

- Pima just west of Thomas

- Goldwater from Scottsdale to Highland

- Hayden and Osborn is restricted but not completely closed.

- Miller and Roosevelt is also restricted but not completely closed.