Sierra Vista teen seriously burned

Posted: Updated:

SIERRA VISTA -- Fire officials say a teenage boy from Sierra Vista was seriously burned when he and a companion tried to ignite brush with gasoline.

A Sierra Vista Fire Department spokesman says the teen was airlifted to a burn center with first- and second-degree burns over half his body following the Wednesday afternoon incident.

Fire marshal Paul Cimino says two teenage boys were pouring gas on vegetation in a backyard when the gas can exploded, possibly after being ignited by a nearby cigarette. The burned boy's friend used a hose to douse the flames.

The injured boy's name and exact age weren't released.

Information from: Sierra Vista Herald

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)