Dogs search the home of missing girl's jailed stepdad

Posted: Updated:
Another home searched

PHOENIX -- Weapons, ammunition and pipe bombs were found in a north Phoenix home Thursday and now the investigation has expanded to a second home.

Residents of the neighborhood were able to return home Friday after being evacuated Thursday afternoon when police found explosives at a home near 34th Street and Bell Road.

Officers asked residents within a one-block radius to evacuate as a precaution around 2:30 p.m.

Detectives found the explosives while conducting a search warrant at the home of a missing girl's stepfather. Alissa Turney disappeared in 2001 when she was 17 years old.

Her stepfather, Mike Turney, 60, was the last person to see her before he claims she ran away to California. Now police say they have enough evidence to re-open this cold case and take a closer look at Alissa's stepdad.

Police found weapons in the home in addition to 32 improvised explosive devices and two handmade silencers.

According to the police report, one pipe bomb was approximately 2 feet in length and 6 inches in circumference. The bomb was packed with approximately 20 pounds of roofing nails.

Police arrested Turney on two counts of misconduct involving weapons. More charges were added and Turney now faces 22 counts for possessing prohibited weapons.

At the time of his arrest Turney was armed with two handguns, multiple magazines and a knife.

"This is the largest seizure of I.E.D.s the Phoenix Police Department has ever made and the largest seizure we are aware of," said Sgt. Andy Hill. "ATF officials at the scene were also not aware of a larger seizure of this type in the Phoenix area. Phoenix Bomb Squad investigators stated one of the pipe bombs was the largest they had ever seen and was capable of destroying the house."

Investigators are also searching a house across the street from Turney's home. Turney lived in the house seven years ago.

Turney remains in police custody and will not be release due to a hold put on his arrest by the ATF.

With the ATF's involvement it is possible the case could be turned over to federal authorities.

The Missing Persons Unit will continue to conduct a separate investigation into the disappearance of Alissa.