UPDATE: Plea deal offered to boy in St. Johns murders

Posted: Updated:
Plea deal in the works

UPDATE: Saturday, Nov. 29

ST. JOHNS - An 8-year-old Arizona boy was accused of double murder but 3TV has gotten word that the charges could be dropped.

3TV obtained court documents in which prosecutors say they do not want to prosecute the boy.

Prosecutors do not go into detail in reference to what the boy and his attorneys have been offered at this point in exchange for a guilty plea.

3TV does know why they are trying to keep this case from going to trial. Prosecutors are concerned that the court could find the boy unfit to stand trial. The juvenile court system was designed for children who are at least 12 years old.

Since we are dealing with an 8-year-old, prosecutors are worried the court could rule that the boy is too young to understand the charges and the court proceedings and dismiss the case.

That, according to prosecutors in Apache County, would deny justice to the victims, their families and the public, all of whom have been impacted by these shocking murders in St Johns.

Prosecutors now say their goal is to strike a balance or a deal which would provide that justice and at the same time provide treatment and rehab which this boy desperately needs.

So again, prosecutors have offered a plea deal to the 8-year-old St. Johns boy charged with murdering his father and another man.

The details of the deal are not yet known but 3TV does know it hinges on the results of the boy's pending mental health examinations.


ST. JOHNS, Ariz. -- An 8-year-old boy accused in a double murder in St. Johns, Ariz., was back in custody Friday after being released for a 48-hour holiday furlough.

The boy was returned to the Apache County Juvenile Detention Center just before noon on Friday.

The third-grader had been granted a 48-hour release to spend Thanksgiving with his mom.

Newly released documents continue to shed new light on what investigators believe happened at the child's home on Nov. 5 when his father, Vincent Romero, and Tim Romans were shot to death.

According to police documents, Romero was shot four times, sustaining a total of six wounds. One of the shots was near his left elbow, two were to his head and the fourth bullet entered his back.

Romans was shot six times, sustaining eight wounds with one bullet hitting him in the arm, two in the chest and three in the back of his head. One of the bullets was discharged at close range.

The boy has another hearing Dec. 8.