2 Men found dead inside cab of truck near Flagstaff

Posted: Updated:
Deaths being investigated

FLAGSTAFF - The following is press release from the Coconino County Sheriff's Office:

After receiving a 911 call of a vehicle that was emitting smoke and possibly on fire, Coconino County Sheriff's deputies find 2 adult males who were obviously deceased in the cab of a parked vehicle.

On Sunday, February 15, 2009 Emergency Communications Specialists of the Northern Arizona 911 Reception Center received an emergency call of a white 1994 Ford pickup truck that was smoking and possibly on fire on Sheep Springs Cul-de-sac in Forest Lakes.Coconino County Sheriff's deputies and the Forest Lakes Fire Department were, immediately, dispatched.Upon their arrival deputies and fire department personnel found the truck doors locked and forcibly entered the vehicle by breaking the passenger side window.While extricating the victims responding personnel discovered a smoldering fire in the cab and extinguished it.

The victims have been identified as 19 year old Jesse Viers and 20 year old Larnelle Hyden both of Phoenix AZ.According to relatives the two victims were headed to Lake Pleasant for a fishing and camping trip.

During the investigation deputies found a disposable aluminum barbeque that was determined to be the source of the fire.Investigators are considering the possibility that the victims ignited the barbeque in the sealed passenger compartment of the truck for the purpose of producing heat or for cooking.At this stage in the investigation it is believed that the two victims died as a result of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.The Coconino County Medical Examiner performed an autopsy on the victims on Tuesday.Coconino County Sheriff's Detectives are continuing this investigation.

Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.Generally speaking, CO in a completely open area is not harmful. However, CO in an enclosed or partially enclosed area can be very harmful and even deadly. For example, if you burn wood or charcoal or use a camp stove, fuel-burning lantern, or generator in a tent or shelter, enclosed vehicle or trailer, you could be poisoned by CO.

To Protect Yourself From CO:

Place camp stoves, generators, portable heaters, fuel-burning lanterns, wood-burning stoves, barbeques, and similar items outside only and away from tents, shelters, and vehicles.To keep warm in cold weather, pack warm clothes and extra blankets.

Be alert to the most common symptoms of CO poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.Remember that breathing in high levels of CO can make you unconscious or kill you.People who are sleeping or impaired by alcohol or other substances can die from CO without ever having symptoms.

If you think you may be sick from CO poisoning get fresh air and medical attention as soon as possible.