Christmas lights suspected in fire that destroyed Mesa home

Posted: Updated:
azfamily.com

MESA - Christmas lights are suspected in a Mesa home blaze.

Christmas lights are likely cause of fire

A fire broke out just hours after the family plugged in Christmas lights at their home near Lindsay and University Wednesday night.

"It appears at this point that she overloaded the extension cord that supplied the outside lights," said Mesa Deputy Fire Chief Mike Dunn.

Dunn suspects that once hot, the small cord caught fire and within minutes it was too late to save the home.

"When they got here, they had heavy fire coming out of the garage area," Dunn said. "It had spread to another part of the house, as well."

The house was a complete loss.

The woman and her two daughters are now staying with family.

One firefighter suffered a minor burn fighting the fire.