Struggling family homeless after overloaded cord sparks fire

Posted: Updated:
azfamily.com

GLENDALE -- A Glendale family is lucky to be alive after an overloaded extension cord sparked a fire.

Cord connected ot neighbor's home

Crews were called out to the home near 60th and Glendale avenues Monday night.

Investigators believe the family had been living without electricity for some time, perhaps as long as three months.

They reportedly were getting power from an extension cord connected to the neighbor's house.

That cord was powering a refrigerator, as well as other household appliances.

Everybody -- the man, woman and 12-year-old who lived in the home -- got out safely. No injuries were reported, but the fire destroyed the house.

Firefighters said this is a reminder to people not to overload their electrical cords and outlets as they put up their holiday decorations.