Leinart to keep working hard after losing QB jobPosted: Updated:
TEMPE -- Matt Leinart says he's a better player following his tough and ultimately unsuccessful effort to win back the starting quarterback job for the Arizona Cardinals.
Now he just has to wait for a chance to prove it.
Coach Ken Whisenhunt announced Saturday that 37-year-old would be the starter when the Cardinals open their season Sunday at San Francisco.
Warner says he and Leinart talked about the situation before practice yesterday and expressed support for one another.
Leinart started the first five games last year before a broken collarbone sidelined him for the rest of the season.
Warner came on and threw for 3,400 yards and 27 touchdowns, even though most of the time he played with a brace on his left elbow because of a torn ligament.
Whisenhunt said the day after last season ended that Leinart was the number 1 quarterback, but that changed through training camp and the pre-season.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)