Smoke detectors, child save Goodyear family from house fire

Posted: Updated:

Smoke alarm woke child

Smoke alarm, child save Goodyear family from house fire - A smoke alarm and quick thinking on the part of a child saved a Goodyear family from an early morning house fire.

Related videos:
Search Video:

GOODYEAR -- A smoke alarm and quick thinking on the part of a child saved a Goodyear family from an early morning house fire.

It was about 2 a.m. when flames broke out at a home on West Deala Drive.

Firefighters said a child in the home woke up the sound of smoke detectors going off. The child woke up the rest of the family and all four people were able to safely get out.

The roof collapsed shortly after firefighters arrived on the scene.

"We had a lot of smoke pushing out of the attic. We kew we had a pretty good advanced fire," said Brett Shupine of the Goodyear FIre Department. "We were able to make it only a couple of feet inside the front door and had a lot of fire over us. It was a matter of minutes before the whole roof caved in."

While no injuries were reported, the home was destroyed.

Firefighters do not yet know what sparked the fire.