Smoking in bed likely to blame for early morning mobile home fire

Posted: Updated:

GLENDALE -- An elderly couple is recovering in the hospital after flames tore through their mobile home early Thursday morning.

Elderly couple injured

The fire broke out just after 2 a.m., at a trailer in a mobile home park near Glendale and 51st avenues.

When firefighters arrived, they discovered that the bedroom was on fire.

According to fire crews, the fire started when somebody inside fell asleep while smoking.

Apparently a blanket caught fire. Flames spread quickly from there.

The man woke up and was able to get outside. He did suffer some burns to his lower body.

There's no word on the condition of the woman who also lived there.