GLENDALE -- A family of five, including three young kids, narrowly escaped an early morning fire that ripped through their Glendale home Friday.
It happened just after 5:30 a.m. in a gated community in the area of Northern Avenue and 85th Drive. Chuck Figger, the homeowner, said the smoke detector woke him up.
The fire apparently started in the garage and spread quickly.
Figger said flames were already burning through to the hallway as he hustled his family and one of their dogs outside to safety. Firefighters were able to save the family's cat and officers found the second dog a few blocks away.
The fire was so big, more crews were called out to deal with it.
It's not yet clear what sparked the fire, but the entire front of the house is badly damaged.