Snowflake H.S. locked down, reports of student with gun

Posted: Updated:
High school was on lockdown

SNOWFLAKE - The following is a press release from Snowflake / Taylor Police:

On 01-14-2009 at about 12:04 PM an unknown white female witness flagged down Officer Egnor of the Snowflake-Taylor Police Department who was on patrol near the Snowflake High School.

The witness was distraught and crying; told Officer Egnor that she saw "an American Indian dressed in all black" place a handgun down the front waist band of his pants and enter "South Hall" of the high school.

Officer Egnor took immediate action and responded to the high school arriving within minutes ordering a lockdown of the school. He notified dispatch of the call and all units that were on duty were summoned to the high school.

All off duty personnel were called to work to assist with the lock down search.

A command post was established and a Special Response Team from Show Low Police Department was called for assistance.

The Special Response Team arrived at about 12:20 and began a security sweep of the high school.

Navajo County Sheriff's Deputies and Department of Public Safety Officers arrived to assist with the lock down and security of the students and faculty.

As the Special Response team cleared each building of the high school, students and faculty were escorted to the auditorium for accountability. After all students and faculty were in the auditorium, officers conducted mass interviews with all students in an attempt to identify other possible Witnesses and or suspects.

There were no arrests during the lockdown and no students were found to be in possession of a firearm. Officers and investigators from the Police department will be compiling information and continuing an investigation into this matter.

School Officials worked well with law enforcement during the lock down helping the situation to run smoothly. Students were released to go home at about 4:05 pm.


Police locked down Snowflake High School after a report of a student with a gun.

First reports from the scene said that a student was seen by another student putting a gun in their belt, and walking into the school.

The student who saw the gun reported it to the school's resource officer.

The SWAT team and the local National Guard unit were called to the school.

Police said that all students were ushered into the school's gym and were searched. They were then let out of the school.

Witnesses reportthat a student was taken out of the school in handcuffs, but no arrests have been confirmed by police.