Award-winning beautyPosted: Updated:
Award-winning beauty - Finding affordable beauty products that are good is always a bonus. And, with this tough economy we need to continue to keep our spending limited. So I decided to do some research and put together a list of award-winning products that are also affordable buys.
Finding affordable beauty products that are good is always a bonus. And, with this tough economy we need to continue to keep our spending limited. So I decided to do some research and put together a list of award-winning products that are also affordable buys.
Read on to see if there is an item here that will keep your checkbook and your beauty needs in balance.
Hair Awards * Good Housekeeping has given their official seal of approval to the Pantene shampoo line. The magazine says that Pantene delivers damage control protection that beats many salon brands. And for around 8 bucks a bottle, the price is right, too.
* For an at-home highlighting kit, the In Style Magazine 2009 Best Beauty Buys list recommends the Clairol Frost & Tip Nice 'n Easy product. The $11 price tag won't break your beauty budget and the magazine says that it is oil-based for healthy hair.
* Both In Style Magazine and SELF Magazine's 2009 Healthy Beauty Awards list L'Oreal Paris Elnett as the best hairspray. An interesting tidbit from In Style says that stylists used to sneak this stuff in from Europe because of its ability to hold a style, yet comb out instantly without flakes. So we can all be thrilled that Target sells it for $14 a can.
Face Awards * In a study done by the Good Housekeeping Research Institute, Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Face Cream hydrated skin cells better than several leading creams that retail in fine department stores for up to $350! Get your jar for $26.99 at drugstores which won't break a beauty budget like a $300 jar of moisturizer would.
* As a long-time user of L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara, I was thrilled to see it listed at the best inexpensive mascara in the In Style Magazine 2009 Best Beauty Buys. I swear by this stuff and since it sells for only $8 at drugstores it enables me to keep a long lashed eye on my budget.
* Also included in the In Style magazine list is another one of my favorites because this company strives to be green. MAC Lip Glass was named the lip gloss with the best color range. And for 14 bucks a bottle, the price is right and the company boasts an environmentally friendly program that gives you a free tube. Simply bring six used containers to the MAC store and while they send those in for recycling, you get to pick a brand new one for free!
Body Awards * A beauty award-giving group that I just learned about is called the Cosmetic Executive Women, Inc. or CEW. This nonprofit organization includes over 4,000 executives in the beauty industry. Based in New York City, the CEW also has associated organizations in France and the UK. A unique item listed as a CEW 2009 Insider's Choice Beauty Winner is a great gift idea called the Ojon Tawaka The Ball skin treatment. Looks like clay and smells a little bit like dark chocolate, this perfectly round ball comes with a handcrafted wooden bowl. It promises to deliver a powerful antioxidant-rich cleansing full-body scrub treatment. Because I was curious about this one, it is the one splurge item that I decided to include in this list. So at 55 bucks a ball, it is a bit on the pricy side, but I did find it for only $39 at QVC.com. I love how well it exfoliates, although a bit messy, it does a nice job on skin.
* Another unique CEW 2009 award winner is the Vickery & Clarke Natural Apothecary Eucalyptus & Peppermint Cold & Sinus Soak . Since a fierce flu season is being predicted by health experts, I thought this one was worthwhile to include. I also like that it is over 94% natural and can be used in a bath or shower. Plus the price is right at around $6 a bottle. I found mine at CVS.
Nail Awards * I love when a product that I have recommended shows up as an award winner, so I was thrilled to see Duri Rejuvacote listed in the In Style's list under best nail strengthener. This has worked wonders for me, but a word of warning, if you don't use it, you lose it. So, when I stopped using Duri my nails were a bit weaker. I was hoping that this product would get my nails on the repair road after I removed my fake nails. At first, I saw a big difference, but as soon as I stopped using it, my nails were losing it! Duri sells for $12 at duri.com.
* Also listed in the In Style nail awards category is the nail top/base coat used by superstar Reese Witherspoon called Seche Vite Top/Seche Clear Base. In Style magazine reports that L.A. nail tech Ashlie Johnson uses this on Witherspoon to keep her nails from chipping. Sounds good to me and it sells for only $10 at Ulta Beauty Supply stores.
A complete list of winners from the award organizations that I listed can be found at the following Web sites:
Congratulations to the award winners that make us consumers winners when it comes to looking good for a small price.