UPDATE:Massive flames gut huge Scottsdale home

Posted: Updated:
azfamily.com

Home is a total loss
azfamily.com

UPDATE: The Scottsdale Fire department was back on scene Tuesday to continue their investigation.

Investigators said it appears the fire started in the south end of the house near a fireplace where the homeowner reported seeing smoke and water.

The fire is not being considered suspicious in nature but no definite cause is determined at this point.

Smoke detectors are credited with saving the lives of the two residents.

The early damage estimate is $1.4 million.

SCOTTSDALE -- Firefighters spent the early morning hours battling a huge house fire at 116th Street and Via Linda in the gated community of Ancala in Scottsdale Monday.

According to Tiffani Nichols of the Scottsdale Fire Department, the at about 4:30 a.m. to report smoke in the house. A neighbor called a short time later and said he saw flames shooting from the home's roof.

When crews arrived on the scene, they saw those flames and lots of smoke billowing off the roof of the 6,000-square-foot home, which backs up to a golf course.

Twenty-five firefighters were called out to deal with the huge fire.

Some parts of the home have became structually unsound, Nichols said, forcing firefighters to take a defensive position.

While crews had control of the fire by about 7:30 a.m. -- some three hours after it started -- they were still mopping up hot spots throughout the morning. They did keep the flames from spreading nearby homes.

The homeowners did get out safely after calling 911.

No injuries were reported and it's not yet clear what sparked the fire.

When she called 911, one of the homeowners said she believed the fire started in the fireplace, but investigators have not been able to confirm that.

The house is a total loss.

According to the County Assessor's Office, the home was worth about $1.5 million.

Google map of the area

>