Valley elementary school student diagnosed with meningitis

Posted: Updated:
GLENDALE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - Parents are dealing with a health scare at a Glendale school. A letter was sent home to parents warning them that a student was recently diagnosed with meningitis.  

At this point, it's not clear if it's viral or bacterial. But clearly school officials aren't taking any chances, and parents are relieved they were notified.

"I'm pretty happy they at least do that. Not a lot of schools do it," said parent Paul Roman.

Roman, along with hundreds of other Sahuaro Ranch Elementary parents, were notified by the district over the phone or through a letter.

Dad Brian Kurec says his family always takes extra precautions to avoid spreading germs.

"It's not really anything to worry about really until we know what it is," Kurec said.

In the letter, district officials told parents, "Viral meningitis may be serious but rarely fatal in persons with normal immune systems. Bacterial meningitis can cause serious complications and can be severe."
 
The Maricopa County Health Department released a statement that read, "Our preliminary investigation shows that this is not a form of meningitis that spreads from person to person..."

Even so, parents are urged to watch out for symptoms which include fever, nausea, vomiting and in some cases a rash with flat red or purple spots.

Roman is confident the district will continue to monitor and watch for the warning signs.

"Once they see signs they let people know, the parents know ahead of time before it actually gets any worse," he said.