Springfield apartment fire caused by groceries on stove

Posted: Updated:

First responders were called into action around 5:45 p.m. on Saturday as they responded to a fire at 812 Page Blvd.

Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 that the fire started in the second-floor apartment.

He said a resident placed just-purchased groceries on top of the stove, but they did not know the burners were on, and the groceries caught fire.

Leger estimated the damage to be $25,000 to $30,000.

Two families, a total of seven people, were displaced due to the fire.  

They are being helped by the Red Cross.

The fire department also rescued two cats from the blaze.

Copyright 2014 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.