Several hours after two businesses caught fire Thursday morning, firefighters continued to douse the buildings with water.
Sam Breecher, co-owner of Breecher Sales, was working in his office when a neighbor told him to get out.
"When I came out the door, flames were about 25 feet high with a lot of smoke," said Breecher.
Fire also ripped through Mega Metals. The flames triggered several explosions inside the metal recycling business.
"We believe that the large explosions, there was anywhere from four to six of those, were some types of metals that were reacting to the fire," said Phoenix fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs.
Jacobs told CBS 5 the blaze started after sparks from a welding crew landed in a pile of titanium shavings.
Once flames reached Breecher's business, there wasn't anything firefighters could do.
"We have a lot of product that's contained in cardboard boxes, and once it got into that fuel source, it went crazy," said Breecher.
Although the company his parents founded was reduced to ash, Breecher is counting his blessings.
"I have a lot to be thankful for. This wasn't my personal residence. It was my business. No one was injured. I understand the welder next door had a few burns but nothing life threatening," said Breecher.
Breecher said that he and his brother plan to rebuild.
Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Phoenix business owner watches warehouse 'disappear before his eyes'More>>