Woman burned after aerosol vapor explosion in backyardPosted: Updated:
A Surprise woman suffered burns to her head, face and arms after vapors from an aerosol can ignited and caused a flash fire.
The woman in her 60's, Kaye Porter, is a snowbird from Spokane, Washington. She was attempting to use a waterproof sealer product called "Rust-oleum Leak Seal Flexible Rubber Coating" to line the inside of a ceramic pot she had recently purchased from a Goodwill store.
"I wouldn't have thought not in a million years I'd have fire shooting out at me," said Porter.
Shortly after beginning to spray the product inside of the ceramic pot the vapors ignited and flames shot up her arm and struck her face.
Porter does not smoke and she says there were no open flame or ignition sources nearby.
Porter went rushing into the house to get help from her husband who whisked her straight to nearby Del Webb hospital.
"My eyelashes are gone, my eyebrows are gone my hair is half gone," Porter says.
CBS5 attempted to contact representatives a Rust-oleum for comment late Friday afternoon but were unable to reach anyone.
Porter suspects static electricity may have caused the flash fire.
Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.