Fire officials said a mother and her 3-year-old son were saved from a garage fire by smoke detectors.
The Phoenix Fire Department said the mother and her 3-year-old son were at home about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday when she heard the smoke detectors going off and found her garage on fire.
She got out of the home with her young son.
The fire was contained to the garage with minor smoke damage in the home.
The mother was treated at the home for smoke inhalation.
The fire department is helping the family of six until they are able to return to the home.
Fire officials are asking others to learn from this family's story and check all smoke detectors once a month and change the batteries once a year.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.