Springfield woman suffers severe burns after early morning house fire

Posted: Updated:

The Springfield Fire Department responded to a house fire early Tuesday morning that resulted in a woman suffering from severe burns on most of her body.

According to Aide to Commissioner Joseph A. Conant, Dennis Leger, firefighters responded to 220 Ambrose St. around 3:52 a.m.

Leger said 34-year-old Opal Sanders suffered from burns on 80 percent of her body, including her face, arms and torso.

Sanders was transported to Baystate Medical Center for treatment. An update on her condition has not been released, but officials said she will need to be transported to another hospital for treatment of burn injuries.

According to Leger, another resident of the home, Easkine Chaffin, 80, was treated for smoke inhalation.

Leger said a pet dog was also injured. Authorities said the dog was taken by Animal Control officers to the VCA Animal Hospital on Boston Road for smoke inhalation treatment.

Officials said neighbors reported hearing Sanders banging on an upstairs window.

"The cops tried to make entry, but they were driven back by intense smoke and heat," Leger said.

According to Leger, the fire broke out near a stove on the second floor of the two-story house, which will cost an estimated $25,000 in damage.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.