2 AZ frats make Rolling Stone list of most out-of-control in AmericaPosted: Updated:
Two fraternities on Arizona campuses are becoming notorious for reckless partying.
Rolling Stone named ASU's Sigma Alpha Epsilon as the No. 1 "most out-of-control" fraternity in America.
Rolling Stone cites two incidents in the last eight months led to the ranking. A prospective member drowned after a night of binge drinking on Nov. 30 at a fraternity event in Tempe Marketplace. In December of 2012, a medical examiner's office has confirmed the body found in the river north of Tempe Marketplace was missing ASU student Jack Culolias. [Stories on Jack Culolias]
This May, brothers dumped one of their own in front of a Phoenix ER with a Post-It note on his body. The 20-year-old student has consumed 30 ounces of tequila and his blood alcohol level was five times the legal limit. [Read: ASU student left at hospital with Post-it note, BAC of 0.47 percent]
[Related: ASU's Greek life marred by serious incidents]
The University of Arizona's Pi Kappa Phi ranked No. 9. Rolling Stone said Pi Kappa Phi has had 14 citations since 2010 and on at least three occasions, members of the frat have ended up in the hospital for alcohol poisoning.
Despite being fined $250 for hazing that deprived pledges of food and sleep in January 2012, they were caught again in January 2013.
Here's the full list of fraternities on Rolling Stone's list:
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Arizona State University
- Alpha Delta, Dartmouth College
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon, University of New Mexico
- Beta Theta Pi, Carnegie Mellon University
- Sigma Chi, Willamette University
- Alpha Gamma Rho, Arkansas State University
- Pi Kappa Alpha, Florida International University
- Phi Delta Theta, Emory University
- Pi Kappa Phi, University of Arizona
- Kappa Sigma, Tulane University.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
2 AZ frats make Rolling Stone list of most out-of-control in AmericaMore>>
- READ: ASU student arrested after 2 severely burned at frat party (3/26/13) READ: Elimination of frat row has caused violence, police say (12/21/12) VIDEO: Beaten-up frat member still doesn't know motiveMore >READ: ASU student arrested after 2 severely burned at frat party (3/26/13) READ: Elimination of frat row has caused violence, police say (12/21/12) VIDEO: Beaten-up frat member still doesn't know motiveMore >