Man charged with murder after victim dies 22 years later
July 31, 2013 02:04 PM
Kenneth Guthrie appears in Henderson County court. (July 31, 2013/FOX Carolina)
HENDERSONVILLE, NC (FOX Carolina) -
Deputies said they arrested a western North Carolina man on a murder charge after he assaulted a woman 22 years ago, leading to her recent death.
Kenneth Guthrie, 50, was indicted on a first-degree murder charge by a grand jury in connection with the Dec. 23, 1990, assault of Jacqueline Cain Maybin, according to Capt. Steve Carter of the Henderson County Sheriff's Office.
Carter said complications from Maybin's injuries led to her death on Dec. 18, 2012, and the medical examiner classified her manner of death as a homicide.
Guthrie was previously convicted of beating the victim at a party more than 20 years ago, leaving her paralyzed, deputies confirmed.
Guthrie appeared in court on Wednesday where he was granted a secured $250,000 bond.
UPDATE: Guthrie's murder charge has since been dropped. Click here to read what the district attorney said about the case.
Copyright 2013 FOX Carolina (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.