Doce Fire burns 6,700 acres; fire 15 percent contained
(Source: CBS 5 News)
PRESCOTT, AZ (CBS5) -
Fire officials say no homes have been touched by the Doce Fire near Prescott, which has burned approximately 6,700 acres.
The wildfire is 15 percent contained as of Friday afternoon.
The Prescott Fire Department said the fire has cost $3.2 million to fight, so far.
No firefighters have been hurt while working on the fire.
Authorities are investigating the cause of the fire that they believe someone started off Dosie Pit Road, a popular area for target shooting.
Residents of the 465 homes that were evacuated this week still cannot return to their houses. But people in other areas are returning home, and it's raising concerns for the Incident Commander.
"There's a lot of discussion about people repopulating in the Mint Creek area ... I'm telling you .. you are not out of the woods yet. We could still have issues. If we get that fire that wraps around and pushes through those fuels, you are going to be in a bad spot. We don't want to re-evacuate the areas we just evacuated," said Prescott Fire Department Incident Commander Tony Sciacca.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Doce Fire burns 6,700 acres; fire 15 percent containedMore>>