Seven people escaped injury after a fire broke out in the basement of their Mesa house Wednesday morning.
Mesa firefighters were called about 4 a.m. to the split-level house near University Drive and Higley Road.
Two adults and five teenagers were in the home but were able to escape, according to Capt. Forrest Smith of the Mesa Fire Department.
The preliminary cause of the fire was a space heater in the basement, the spokesman said.
Smith said it appeared the family had an escape plan that helped keep them safe. He said the family should be able to return to the home after firefighters complete their investigation.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.