Michael Boldon, 62, died while driving a taxi cab on the Las Vegas Strip. A Maserati that had been targeted by gunfire slammed into Boldon's cab on Feb. 21, 2013.
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
The family of a taxi driver killed on the Las Vegas Strip has filed suit against the suspected shooter accused of causing his death.
In a civil lawsuit filed with Clark County Courts on Monday, Boldon's son and other family member claim automobile negligence against suspected gunman Ammar Harris.
According to the civil complaint made on behalf of Boldon, Harris is accused of not maintaining safe driving conditions when he allegedly shot at a vehicle driven by Kenny Cherry Jr. on Feb. 21. Cherry's vehicle, according to Las Vegas Metro police, was targeted by Harris, who was driving a black Range Rover.
The suit said the car-to-car shooting caused an unconscious Cherry to accelerate his Maserati into an intersection and slam into Boldon's cab. The vehicle burst into flames, killing Boldon and his passenger, Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, as a result.
The family's attorney, Lawrence Smith, said on Tuesday Harris is the only person named in the complaint at the moment.
Smith mentioned, though, the civil suit includes language relating to Boldon's taxi cab in reference to potential action for defects in the vehicle's design. The attorney said issues with the cab and any potential action will be addressed once the investigation of the crash is complete.
On Monday, an identification hearing for Harris, 26, was set for March 14 in Los Angeles during a brief extradition hearing. The hearing was Harris' first since being captured in southern California on Thursday.
Stay tuned to FOX5 for the latest on this developing story.
Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.
Cab driver's family sues Strip shooting suspectMore>>