House explosion reported in Bridgeport

Posted: Updated:

Natural gas could be the cause of a house explosion in Bridgeport Friday afternoon.

According to police, residents of a home on Amsterdam Avenue smelled the odor of natural gas, but it had gone away. However, when someone in the house lit a burner for the stove around 3:45 p.m., it caused an explosion.

The explosion blew out the walls in one of the rooms of the home and caused "moderate to significant" damage to the residence.

There were five people home at the time of the explosion, but no one was seriously injured.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.