Firefighters pulled a man from a burning home in Olathe and brought him back to life through CPR Friday afternoon.
The bulk of the damage to the home just off of Ridgeview Road and Martway Drive is at the front of the house, the area where someone spotted the fire and called it in about 3:30 p.m., just in the nick of time.
"I thank everybody around here, whoever called," Jamie Outhet said.
Jamie Outhet rushed to her dad's house with her mom and stepdad after a friend saw the fire from KCTV's Chopper 5 and called her.
"I run into my mom's room and I just start crying," she said as she recounts when she heard the news.
William Outhet, who is in his 60s, was out of work. He shared the house with a roommate, but the roommate was gone when the fire broke out.
"He has a hard time hearing after working at Owens Corning. That industrial noise has a tendency ... he's partially deaf and so he may not have heard the smoke detector going off," Shannon Laber, William Outhet's ex-girlfriend, said.
Firefighters said William Outhet had no pulse and wasn't breathing when they pulled him from the upstairs bedroom. CPR brought him back to life before the ambulance whisked him away.
"They did have a pulse back. They upgraded to a type red, but that is also critical," Capt. Mike Hall with the Olathe Fire Department said.
While he was last listed in critical condition, his daughter is confident he will recover.
"My dad has worked at Owens Corning and, he's a trooper, what can I say. He makes it through everything," Jamie Outhet said.
We haven't heard back from them since getting in touch with medical staff at the hospital.
The fire department hasn't yet said what they suspect caused the fire. Outhet's family spent some time talking to police before checking in on him at the hospital.
One bright spot in the dark day involved Jamie Outhet's cat, Tigger. He was also rescue from the burning house and given oxygen. She was so excited he survived that she sent KCTV5 a photo after picking him up at the shelter. She's had him since she was 5 years old.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
UPDATEMan suffers critical injuries in Olathe house fireMore>>