East Hartford man wants to thank person who saved his son during firePosted: Updated:
A father is searching for the man who saved his son's life after someone caught his child safely as a fire ripped through the Gateway Condo complex in East Hartford early Tuesday morning.
East Hartford Fire Department said 10 people, including three firefighters, were hospitalized after a three-alarm fire at the complex on Ellington Road around 4 a.m.
One child had to jump out of a second-floor window to escape the raging fire inside the building.
"Well I just saw the building, a guy caught me, and I saw my mom staring out the window," said Marques Lewis, 11.
Marques told Eyewitness News that he was woken by the sound of fire alarms and the smell of smoke. He was one of more than 100 people in the building at the time of the fire.
"Well I didn't know what to do," he said. "There was fire outside of my door and the only way out was the window."
Marques's father Marlow Lewis said he was at work at the time of the fire and wanted to thank the man, who caught his son.
"My wife threw him out the window and I got to find the gentleman who caught my son," he said. "I want to say thank you, and when I see you I'll shake your hand."
Marlow Lewis told Eyewitness News that he's glad to come home Tuesday and find out his son is OK. When he came home last week, he said he found little fires in front of everybody's doors and in the hallways and stairways.
"I came right up the steps of the hallway and fires was in front of everyone's doorways and I was just stomping them out," Marlow Lewis said.
In the last few weeks, East Hartford fire officials have been called to the Gateway Estates apartments because someone started setting fires in front of apartment doors.
Marlow Lewis told Eyewitness News that he and his family plan to go to the North End Senior Center at 40 Remington Rd. where the American Red Cross is providing residents displaced by the fire with a warm place to stay while they sort things out.
Anyone displaced by the fire should check in with staff at the North End Senior Center, so appropriate services can be provided to tenants.
It's unknown how the fire started, but officials said they will investigate to see if it's the work of an arsonist.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.