(Source: CBS 5 News) Seven people were displaced by the fire near 75th Avenue and Indian School Road early Friday morning.
Seven people were looking for a place to stay after a fire that started in a chimney badly damaged their Phoenix house early Friday morning.
A passerby noticed flames coming from the chimney about 3:30 a.m. and alerted the seven residents inside, according to Capt. Larry Nunez of the Phoenix Fire Department.
Nunez said the residents were using the fireplace to heat the house near 75th Avenue and Indian School Road, and that the flames spread to the attic. He said the fire caused extensive damage to the interior of the house.
Nunez said the house had a working smoke detector, but because the fire started in the chimney and moved into the attic, the smoke didn't reach the detector until the fire was well under way.
The fire department was working with the Red Cross to find a new place for the seven residents and their four dogs to live.
Nunez said the residents were renting the house and were probably unaware of whether the chimney was cleaned or in proper operating condition.
"You have to watch the fires you create in fireplaces," Nunez said, adding you need to make sure that the chimney has been inspected.
He said that while officials believe the fire started in the chimney, the investigation was continuing before an official cause could be determined.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5(Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.