School canceled for Newtown students MondayPosted: Updated:
School officials said students who were attending Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown before the tragic shooting Friday will attend class at a Monroe school.
However, school for Newtown students canceled for Monday, but could resume as early as Tuesday for all schools, expect Sandy Hook.
Monroe officials said the district has been working closely with its neighbor and offered its assistance in any way possible.
"It's important that the Sandy Hook students get back to school quickly in an environment that is familiar and safe," said Superintendent Jim Agostine. "We recognize that everyone would like to lend a helping hand, but we have been asked to hold back until the Newtown staff is settled in and they can direct our efforts."
He said Newtown would be using Monroe's Chalk Hill School when students go back to school, presumably sometime this week.
Agostine said a police officer will be staffed at every school to reassure students and staff that they are and will be safe. He said parents should know the school district is taking every precaution to keep the children safe.
According to Monroe Town Officials, the school was closed last year and mothballed. Since the tragedy, hundreds of contractors and town staff have been working around the clock to un-mothball the school and get it ready.
To read the announcement made by Agostine, click here.
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.