Torrington teen burned in gasoline firePosted: Updated:
A teenager was badly burned Thursday night after he attempted to ignite a fire using gasoline, police said in a statement.
According to Torrington police, the 16-year-old and two friends started a fire in a fire pit at 79 Palmer Bridge Rd. The boy attempted to get the fire to burn better by first using lighter fluid. When that didn't work, police said the boy poured gasoline from a container onto the fire.
The fire quickly ignited and the fire trail burned back to the gas container, police said. The male caught on fire as several 911 callers reported that he was seen running as the fire ignited his clothes.
Neighbors attempted to assist the male by using a fire extinguisher on him.
Torrington police, fire and Campion Ambulance all responded to the scene. The boy was transported to Charlotte Hungerford Hospital and was flown by Life Star to Bridgeport Hospital. He is currently listed in stable condition with burns on his extremities, chest and rib area.
Police said the other two teenagers with him were not injured.
Two vehicles that were parked near the fire pit area were slightly damaged as a result of this incident, which is under investigation by the Torrington Fire Marshal and the Torrington Detective Bureau.
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.