Cities, towns provide hurricane reliefPosted: Updated:
The Red Cross said that people interested in volunteering or if that are in need call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767). He said in regard to people looking to volunteer or donate, the Red Cross' needs are always changing. Yesterday there was a demand for blood donation, but today it could be different. http://www.redcross.org/
CBA Establishes Hotline For Insurance Information
The Connecticut Bar Association has established a free emergency hotline service to provide insurance advice on a pro bono basis to Hurricane Sandy disaster victims. The hotline is staffed by members of the CBA knowledgeable in insurance matters.
Water Filling Stations
Connecticut Water is in the process of setting up water filling stations for families that don't have water service.
We have or will have shortly tankers on site for the public to access for free potable water:
- North Madison Fire Department - 79 and 80 traffic circle
- North Guilford Fire Department - route 77 north of route 80
- Killingworth Circle (intersection of Rte 80 and 81)
- Marlborough Elementary School, School Drive, Marlborough
Also we have hydrant fill stations available at:
- CWC Clinton Office, 93 West Main Street, Clinton
- South Guilford Fire Department 390 - Church Street
- Essex Fire Department - Saybrook Road, Essex
- Old Saybrook High School - Route 1
- Chester Meetinghouse center of town by green
- RHAM Hebron – 85 wall street, Hebron
Healthtrax in Avon (100 Simsbury Road) has once again opened their showers and charging stations – free of charge – to Avon Residents who remain without power. Please bring towels, toiletries, and charging devices/accessories. Hours of operation are Monday to Friday from 5:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Shelter Location: 31 Society Road, Niantic
People should plan on brining: personal Hygiene items, "quite" games for kids, essential medications and clothing for up to three days, cell phone chargers, Red Cross will provide basic food and water, if someone requires special food, they should bring it with them. (Nothing that requires refrigeration or heating). If someone has a domestic animal, they can also bring it to the shelter. They must provide proof of vaccinations, a collar / leash, crate and food for the animal. EL/Waterford ACO is in charge of the animal shelter.
The Sacred Heart University is opening its William H. Pitt Health & Recreation Center until 11 p.m. to area residents, so they can charged their cell phones and other electronic devices. Charging stations have been setup in the gymnasium.
For information, please contact our Town Call Center at 203 254-4899.
1. Showers are available at the LHS from 3:00PM - 10:00PM, Wed-Fri.
2. The Bill Library is showing continuous movies. They also have charging stations, WiFi and computers for Internet access.
3. NO BURNING...Transfer Station will be open normal hours Wed, on Thursday & Fri from 9:00AM-3:30 PM, and open normal hours on Sat & Sun for storm brush and leaves only.
4. Water is available at both LFD & GFFD, Town Hall, LHS, LMS and Valentino's...bring your own containers
5. Charging stations are available at Town Hall, LHS (3:00PM-10:00PM), Senior Center, Bill Library and GF Community Center.
Post-Sandy, The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk is open as of Wed., Oct. 31 and, as a community service, offering a free station to charge cell phones and use the Internet. Maritime Aquarium admission is not required to use these services or to relax in the Aquarium's Cascade Cafe. There's free WiFi throughout the Aquarium.
Showers- Old Lyme High School
Ice- Old Lyme Middle School
24-hour regional shelter- East Lyme Middle School
Daisy Ingraham School is open between 8:30am and 5:30pm for electronic charging and medical equipment. Showers are also available but you need to bring your own personal products and a towel.
YMCA on Spencer Plains Road is also available for showers 5am to 9:30pm through Friday.
Second, charging and showering stations. Elmwood Community Center is open for showers beginning at 6 AM on Wednesday, and will be open as a convenience center for the charging of phones and computers throughout the day. The community center is located at 1106 New Britain Avenue. Additionally, all three public libraries and Town Hall will be open as normal. Showering stations, however, are only available at the Elmwood Community Center.