Bridgeport mayor calls for mandatory evacuationsPosted: Updated:
Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch announced a mandatory evacuation for all residents living in low-lying areas as of noon on Sunday.
Finch said, "This is a very serious storm. We don't want residents to be lulled into a sense of complacency - the expected level of flooding from this storm will be equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane, and is forecasted to last through nearly three high-tide cycles."
"If you have friends or relatives who live on higher ground, then make arrangements now to stay with them for the duration of the storm. On Sunday, police and fire department staff will go door-to-door to advise residents who have not already evacuated to do so, or stay at their own risk," Finch added.
Jettie Tisdale School, 275 Hollister Ave., Geraldine Johnson School, 427 Lexington Ave. and Cesar Batalla School, 606 Howard Ave. will be used as shelters and will be open at noon on Sunday, according to the mayor.
Pets are allowed in all shelters but they must be on leashes or in cages. Pet owners are asked to supply food for their pets.
The following streets encompass the mandatory evacuation area:
· Southern Broad Street- East to the Harbor
· Seaside Village
· Marina Village
· Bostwick Avenue at Osbourne to the south including, Morris and Anthony Streets
· Lower areas of Ferris Street, Arthur Street, Yacht Street, Brewster Street
· Black Rock Yacht Club Area, southeast of Grovers Avenue
· West of Dewey Street - between Edgewood and Salt Street
· South Avenue
· Atlantic Street near Broad and Main
· Whitney Street
· South of Wordin Avenue - Washburn Street, and Howard Avenue south of Wordin Avenue
· Cottage Place
· Henry Street
· Ridge Avenue
· Gregory Street- South Lower end of Iranistan Avenue to Columbia Street
· Walnut Street
· Atlantic Street Near Iranistan Avenue
· Anchorage Avenue
· Pine Street
· Newfield Avenue - Streets to the southeast of Newfield including Jefferson, Trowel, Adams, and DeForest DeKalb and Seaview Avenues
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.