SIDEBAR: Bee attacks
MESA, AZ (CBS5) -
How to Bee-Safe
- Attacks by swarms of aggressive bees can be minimized by following a few tips provided by the Mesa Fire Department.
- Stay indoors.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Do not attempt to move bees (don't throw objects at the swarm or squirt with water).
Typically swarms are transient - they may set up temporary shelter in a tree for a few hours or even days before moving on.
- Swarms close to daycare centers, schools, or densely populated areas (large apartment complexes or trailer parks) may need to be removed if they do not leave the area in a reasonable amount of time or are showing aggressive behavior.
- If a beekeeper or exterminator is contacted for bees on a private residence or business, the owner/occupant assumes financial responsibility for said services.
- Killing non-Africanized swarms only strengthens the Africanized population. Non-aggressive bees are essential in nature.
- Source: Mesa Fire Department
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.