Three firefighters have been injured responding to a fire and explosion that destroyed a Louisiana Tech fraternity house Saturday afternoon.
RUSTON, LA (KSLA) -
Burning text books may have been the cause of the fire that burned down the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house at Louisiana Tech in Ruston Saturday afternoon.
"I think some of the guys that were maybe doing an end of year celebration and burning some books or whatever, so we'll look into that," says Sophomore and Pi Kappa Alpha president John Chestnut.
Fire investigators will be looking for evidence that burning books were the source of the blaze, and confirm they have been told where it may have started. "Law enforcement was told that someone had started a fire in the chimney, whether to cook or for whatever reason, I don't know," says Ruston Police Department Lt. Tim Parker.
Parker says there were five students in the house at the time of the fire, which spread to an apartment building next door. All escaped unharmed. Two firefighters were injured when the roof of the fraternity house collapsed as they were cutting a hole for ventilation. One suffered a broken pelvis while jumping to safety and another suffered a knee injury. A third was treated for heat exhaustion.
Parker says what was initially reported as an explosion was actually a plume of smoke created by the collapse of the two-story building, known around campus as Pike House.
Both the fraternity house and the apartment building were destroyed.